Monday 22 September 2014

P & P - Part One People Aware - Exercise 6 - A Portrait Sequence

The exercise ask for a portrait shoot generating a sequence of portraits which different subtly or substantially depending on what and how I want to direct the shoot.

I have volunteered myself to perform a family / children portrait shoot. I have a reversible black / white vinyl background on a frame and I checked in advance whether the mother wanted high key or low key images. I know from experience that getting high key images with the background exposed white can be difficult as the camera will what to interpret it as a grey (try shooting snow and you'll see what I mean).

Re-arranging my front room I can set up using two light sources controlled by my camera. I am still experimenting with these set-ups and have a lot to learn about portrait sessions using flash.

A very good book to read is "Lighting for Portrait Photography" by Steve Bavister. On each pair of opposing pages when the book is opened, one page shows the portrait and the other a graphic of the light and camera position with some text on the image and details regarding the shutter speed, aperture and focal length used.

I have in the past used single light sources for single subject portraits, multiple subjects concerned me that I would have a lot of shadows and faces not fully lit.

This was my set up:



As any film director will say never work with animals and children, there is reason. However in photography the unpredictable can make for great captures.

I use a mid zoom of 24-70 and camera hand held as I prefer to move around a bit get in close and move away.

I'm very much learning here but I'll try and relax my subjects with some test photo's checking light, exposure, histogram, colour and really let the children have some freedom before more formal shots. I've found in the past that "chimping" the images after small flurry give the subjects interest, relaxation and an informal ease to the session. Everybody wants to look good and so do children, though looking silly is also important. Essentially do what works for you and your subjects. Time can be limited as children may lose interest so get the key shots in earlier then experiment and try different things. 

Oh, one more thing, have spare charged batteries on hand as you never know how quick these can burn sometimes. If you want to impress, that beeping of the flashes telling you they have recycled and are ready to go, will give a professional touch to the proud parents. When doing a commission the professional approach can be important.

I've taken many images but I've selected the following and will apply commentary to each as recorded at the time.

Image 1



A nervous and apprehensive smile but he is more relaxed at this point than the start. I believe the lighting is OK, no shadows on the background and facial features seem well lit, flash reflection in the eye. I always hoot with a single focus point, semi press to get focus on the eyes, the reframe and fully press to get the image.

Glasses can cause a problem and in this case should be pushed on better so the eyes are seen fully through the glass, the glasses seem to far down the nose. I've also photoshopped the back of the glasses that was slightly sticking out behind the left eye as we look.


Image 2


Once you have children's confidence they are normally obliging and can be encouraged to do something different. A full length portrait obtain by adjusting the focal length, I prefer to do this than walking backwards and forwards. I'm in my front room so spaces is also limited but I hope from the final image that you'd never know.


Image 3




We have a more natural smile and I mix in formal with silly to maintain interest. Here you'll see the tooth fairy has had a collection to make from the bottom row of the boys tooth. Checking with the Mum as part of post production of the keeper images I offered the opportunity to photoshop the missing tooth in, which was accepted.

I'm to close to the stand on the right as you'll see some shadow in the right side of the image. This is easily cloned or cropped but I've left this in so you see my mistakes. I'm not that keen on how this is composed as I'm missing some arm.


Image 4



One that wont make the final set, why? I have a crumpled vinyl and I've lost the attention of the boy at the back. A simple request and more images and I have both boys' attention and the image. Always check your camera screen and review multiple elements including the shot, no good recognising this in post production where its too late to take another

Image 5



When you get it right, you can capture something wonderful and you know the parents' will love this. In this instance I've allowed to options, this particular process is a based on a glamour preset with some minor changes using the software Portraiture by Imagenomic. Don't let those professionals fool you that they get it right each time. Its reassuring to talk to one and understand they'll have keepers amongst a big bunch of ones for marking unwanted like the rest of us :D


Image 6



Having fun. Make the portrait session fun and let the children express themselves. Something funny gets capture, it may not make the final cut but everyone likes to see happy children having fun


Image 7



Its not right here with shadow, because I've not reset the lighting height to match the lower position, worth remembering this. I also have creased vinyl but on the plus side its not so easy to see where the bend is between horizontal and vertical of the vinyl background.


Image 8



Almost the perfect shot but I've lost the focus of the elder boy with me back to his mother. It happens, I don't stress and carry on. Many images in these situations can be luck, the key is to try and have everything else right that's under your control. 


Image 9



Almost there but the glasses are too far forward, some creasing of the vinyl on the right


Image 10



The very next frame and I think this my and their Mum's favourite image. I've taken more and also introduced their baby brother. However in this set of images I've attempted explain my set-up, thoughts and some self critique

No comments:

Post a Comment