Sunday 14 December 2014

P & P - Part Two A Comfortable Situation - Exercise 1 - Developing your confidence

It very much depends on your location and your confidence when taking images in the street. As a tourist amongst others you will go unnoticed but on a typical village or city street you will appear noticeable.

I found there are multiple techniques that can be used:

1. Take a few images and move-on. You are noticed for a while, cause minimal disruption and are moving again

2. Hang around with your camera out. You start to blend into the background and people tend to ignore you after a while.

3. Take images of buildings, look like a tourist then focus on the more interesting people images

4. I've not done this but if you put on a high vis tabard with Photographer on the back you will look the part and people will think you belong there for a reason. They will of course remain curious and you also become obvious. It depends on what type of street photography you want to capture

I found people do look at you when you are taking images and this is often curiosity of what you are doing and what you are taking images of. There is perhaps a worry that when people look at you that their curiosity may develop more, however I found with a quick smile people are very quickly re-assured. In much the same way you are looking for situations to capture, they are also looking for things to attract their attention. With a camera in your hand you are much more sensitive to people looking at you.

Once you start moving around with your camera and focus on what you want to do I found I quickly ignored any passer-bys looking at me and wondering what I was doing. In fairness if I saw someone with a camera I would wonder what they were taking images of just being nosey,

I do always ensure I have a few things with me just in case of a situation:

1. A small card detailing my rights and those of and those of police officers / PCSO should I ever be stopped or asked questions about my photography.

2. My Student Card. If you explain that you are studying for a degree in Photography people become interested, relaxed and perhaps likely to pose for you.

3. My website mini-moo cards with my details to hand out. Again people will be interested, its cheap advertising and you never know, someone may want copies of your images or it could become a future commission. 

If detailed below a small sample of the images I captured:

Image 1 



I think this style of street performing started in Europe and its interesting seeing it performed in the UK. Notice in this image the shoppers ignoring the performing, in others that are seen clearly looking and smiling. On a dark and dreary day I should have considered upping my ISO to increase my shutter speed. However if this was a deliberate act not to do it you can see how it captures movement in the shoppers adding energy to the image


Image 2


In this image a street performer is engaging with a family. Also note the looks of the two ladies on the left enjoying the scene. Additionally notice one of the common curses of today's world. The man is too busy looking at his mobile phone to notice what is happening. If you haven't, watch a YouTube clip called "Look-Up" by Gary Turk that helps explain what people could be missing when over focused on their phone and so called social media:



Image 3


I prepared for the instance when someone walked past attempting not to look too obvious. Not sure if this is a "capture the moment" but I liked the advertising slogan "click and collect". Well I've done the clicking, if it sells I'll also do the collecting! More by luck than design I have captured some movement in the walking helping to demonstrate he is indeed doing just that.


Image 4


This image made me smile as I was clearly photo bombed by someone curious as what I was up to. I think I grinned and he grinned and then we both carried on. Better framing here could have made for a better image. With street photography there is often no second chance of capturing the moment.


Image 5



For this image I remained in one place and studied the worker look for an opportune moment with the camera to my eye. I was against a shop window and was able to remain unnoticed or simple just ignored. I think as a future activity, a set of images of street workers could prove an interesting approach


Exercise Learning

1. Use my histogram more, do what I normally do. I think I became at times over focused on looking around and forgot about some elements of digital photography

2. As above, ensure I concentrate on what is in the full frame, allow room potential for any post processing edit

3. Be aware of the challenges of gloomy light in a city centre and how this can effect exposure

4. Employ where required the three techniques I've discovered above

5. After feeling initially uncomfortable and obvious at first I quite enjoyed it and had the start of capturing street images I hope reflected in some of the images above
















































No comments:

Post a Comment