Sunday 9 August 2015

Photography (Routledge Introductions to Media and Communications)

I've bought this book which can be found here on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photography-Routledge-Introductions-Media-Communications/dp/0415428947Photography (Routledge Introductions to Media and Communications)


I'm not sure what to make of this book; there is very little in the way of images and I think it needs to be read with access to a PC for further research and identification of images. Of the few images in there I think only 1 or 2 captivated me, the rest seemed almost observational but with strange composition or at least they did not speak to me in any way. They did contribute to the point being made.

However where this book excels is in its academic information and the way its conveyed in written format. It appears aimed at people who want to gain and increase their knowledge and written in a very accessible way. I think at times there is a danger in art that some elements are kept aloft, aloof and away from the majority, descriptive use of words and theories that become baffling associated with images that are produced. The interpretation often over done. I wonder if the original authors themselves feel that is what their image represents and what they wanted to capture and express within their image. Sometimes for me its a case of the "Kings New Clothes".

This book however seems to remove this almost aloofness which is very refreshing. Whilst it is academic, the language is accessible, it involves and makes learning and understanding much easier. In addition the breadth of the book it what it looks at is far ranging and it gets in to the heart of photography, not just the image but the public's perception of themes.

There are many items which caught my attention, small snippets; whilst the Vietnam War is not comparable to the Falklands War in duration, or the numbers involved it was interesting reading that how photography of the Vietnam war and its reporting turned an American public against those involved and how the reporting with photography for the Falklands War was extremely restricted, not even McCullin could get involved. No one of course knew how long the Falklands War would last but history and public opinion driven by imagery was something the English Government wanted to avoid and a lesson learnt from the Vietnam War.

This is a book I will return to a lot, elements it picks up on are captivating, topical and interest. For me it opens up academia to those not part of either social or artistry elite. This is very important where digital photography and social media has increased beyond belief the numbers who know participate in photography. For this reason alone understanding and knowledge extension should be more available to all. This book for me does this and its a book I know I will return to again and again



No comments:

Post a Comment